Paper Paintings Collage 3-Day Workshop
• RICE PAPER, Hosho or Shuji Gami Kozo Paper Roll. Washi or Unyuri white papers with and without fibers/texture purchase online @ DickBlick.com, PaperStudio.com or local art supply or craft store in the Chinese brush painting section.
• VARIETY OF PAPERS, maps, wallpaper, newspaper, personal memorabilia – variety of thickness and textures. You can do this totally with found papers you have on hand, or you can also purchase Washi or Unyuri (rice) white papers with and without fibers/texture @ DickBlick.com, PaperMojo.com or local art supply or craft store.
• DECORATIVE PAPERS, papers you purchase at your local art supply store with fiber, embossing, metallic patterning, iridescent patterning. Please purchase in white or natural if possible, this allows for the most color options when painting.
• NO MAGAZINES or shiny coated printed papers please.
We will experiment with hand-painting, -staining, -stamping and -patterning a variety of papers. Please bring any stamps, toothbrushes, palette knives or stencils and a Gelli Plate you might like to use for adding texture. I will provide a table with shared materials at the front of the room.
• GOLDEN FLUID ACRYLIC PAINTS, SMALL CONTAINER OF WHITE GESSO for under-painting on panel AND hand-painting papers (I prefer fluid acrylics for painting papers as they maintain their vibrancy when watered down. You can use any acrylic or permanent ink you have on hand!)
• CANVAS PANELS for support, available at DickBlick.com or local craft store. This is mat board covered with pre-primed canvas, NOT stretched canvas. 8x8 size for the Small Apple Exercise and one 11x14 for the Pet Portrait.
• FILBERT STYLE PAINT BRUSHES (variety of sizes, large to medium) for underpainting and applying glue, I use cheap synthetic ones, abuse them and then throw them away!
• LIQUITEX GLOSS GEL MEDIUM, this is the collage glue.
• VESSEL for water SHOWER CURTAIN LINER for table cover
• PAPER TOWELS or rags for cleanup
• PAPER PLATES for paint palette
WOOD PANELS I work on wood panel, either cut down 1/8 inch sanded birch plywood or American Easel Wood Painting Panels from DickBlick.com. This would be a more expensive option than canvas panel and does require a coat of gesso primer/sealer.
• GELLI PLATE WITH BRAYER I have three Gelli Plates for sharing, however they are usually a huge hit and if you want to bring your own, you are welcome to, along with a brayer. Visit GelliArts.com
• YOUR PET REFERENCE PHOTO please have your image sized up to the same size as your canvas panel: 11x14. If your printer does not go this large, please either tile your image and tape it together or have it output at your local Kinkos on NON GLOSSY paper.
• GRAPHITE TRANSFER PAPER for transferring your reference image to the canvas. Visit DickBlick.com ERASER, ball point PEN.